| News | Match Reviews | Season 2018/19 | Toolstation NCEL Match Review 2018/19 #24

Match Reviews for

Toolstation NCEL Match Review 2018/19 #24

1st November, 2018

Goals from Kieran Watson and Reece Treasure saw Hallam claim a Toolstation NCEL League Cup upset as the Division One side beat Premier Division visitors Knaresborough Town in midweek.

The Sandygate side were the only ones to defeat higher-ranked opposition in the seven Third Round ties that pitted teams against opposition from a different division.

They took the lead on 36 minutes before confirming the 2-0 victory in the last quarter-of-an-hour and book their place in the last sixteen of this season's competition.

Staveley Miners Welfare stopped themselves from following in Knaresborough's footsteps as they won 4-2 at neighbours Dronfield Town after Jahmal Riley's early opener for them had been cancelled out by Callum Mawbey.

Charlie Oglesby put Staveley back in front by the interval but they were pegged back again by Mark Fereday before Tyla Bell and Sam Kay made sure of the win in the final half-hour.

Garforth Town avoided a shock thanks to a Shaquille Clarke-Adams brace in the last twenty minutes as they won 2-1 at home to Shirebrook Town, the visitors taking the lead on 31 through Mark Robinson.

Penistone Church and Worksop Town also found their Division One opposition to be tough nuts to crack with Penistone prevailing 3-2 at FC Bolsover whilst Worksop won 2-1 at home to Winterton Rangers.

Penistone were 2-0 up by half-time through Andrew Ring and Nathan Keightley but Bolsover halved the deficit soon after the interval thanks to a Jake Morrison goal, Lewis Dickinson restored the visitors' two-goal cushion and then Jack Warwick made sure the last twenty minutes were a close affair with the hosts' second.

And, Worksop had a two-goal lead by the half-hour mark through Craig Mitchell and Matthew Sykes but Division One table-toppers Winterton got themselves back into the tie with substitute Luke Anderson's 69th minute strike before the Tigers who ultimately went through.

Meanwhile, there were comfortable home victories for Hall Road Rangers and Liversedge, Jacob Norburn scoring twice in Rangers' 5-0 defeat of Grimsby Borough whilst there were hat-tricks for Joe Walton and Danny Farrar as Sedge beat Armthorpe Welfare 10-2.

There were four all-Premier Division ties, one being a replayed Second Round clash between Yorkshire Amateur and Handsworth Parramore that was won 2-1 by the Amber Parras, both of their goals coming from Bradley Nicholson after Ashley Flynn had given the home side a 28th minute lead.

Albion Sports and Eccleshill United defeated fellow top-flight sides 3-1 with Sports progressing at home to Bottesford Town, courtesy of extra-time goals from Alhassane Keita and Joshua McKiernon after the game reached ninety minutes tied at 1-1.

Eccleshill trailed 1-0 at Athersley Recreation with ten minutes remaining but Khurram Shazad, Thomas Rose and Luke Harrop all struck to stun the hosts late on.

Jonathan Hill's decider eight minutes from time saw Maltby Main edge a tight home clash with Thackley 3-2 and they are joined in the next round by AFC Emley and Ollerton Town who beat fellow Division One opposition.

Benjamin Burdett netted for Emley midway through the first-half to progress by a single goal at Campion whilst there were goals for Gavin King, Lewis Bingham and Ellis Wright in Ollerton's 3-0 home defeat of Worsbrough Bridge Athletic.

And, in the midweek's only league game, Selby Town moved up to fifth spot in Division One as they beat visitors Swallownest 1-0, Carl Stewart with the vital strike early in the second period to send the Robins up two places in the table.

Latest Stories by Section